The shipping and long haul industry involves a lot of different elements that all have to work together in order to ensure that a load is delivered safely, on time, and without issue. While there are plenty of considerations to make, one of the most important is simply how you secure a heavy haul load. Rigging is vital, and one mistake could lead to a fine or – even worse – a damaged shipment.
Rigging is best done by a professional who has experience and skill, and who is willing to pay careful attention to the details that go into a load’s proper rigging. There are several tips that can help get better results from a heavy haul load rigging, and knowing them is important. Here are some of the key things to think about.
- Know All The Techniques – The first step towards success at safe rigging is simply to know all of the various techniques used in the process. Once you understand how to best rig each load properly and what techniques work best in each situation, the remainder of the process is much easier.
- Pay Attention To Center Of Gravity – Always consider center of gravity to help ensure that the load is rigged in the best way possible. This influences connection points, rigging lines, and more.
- Use The Right Material For Rigging – For heavy haul loads, the usual material is metal – cables or chains. But webbing and even rope is sometimes used for various reasons. Know the options and which is right for the situation.
- Equalize The Load – Before rigging even begins, it’s a must that the load be equalized properly. This way the rigging is better able to work and the load itself sits more securely.
- Understand The Limitations – It’s always important to understand when a load is outside the limitations of the rigging. Different rigging is rated differently for strength, and it’s vital that you know how to spot potential issues quickly.
- Explain Any Risks To Hauler – Finally, be sure to explain anything to the hauler that needs to be understood. How to check for a shifted load, speed considerations, and so on are all factors that they should know about for better control of the load.
If you’ll keep these simple tips in mind there is a very good chance that you’ll be able to complete the rigging of any load with the best results possible and keep your load safe.